Chris Groves love of art grew from his early experiences with nature and the introduction of a master sculpture in his youth. Groves was born in Boulder, Colorado, but soon moved with his family to Slidell, Louisiana. Those early years in Slidell were spent outside, exploring the woods, swimming in the bayou, boating, fishing, playing with snakes and other wild animals. It was during those years that Groves learned to love the outdoors and nature.
At the age of ten, Groves' family returned to Boulder where he continued his exploration of nature with countless hikes, mountain climbs and camping trips. His parents gave him a nature-drawing book and Groves latched onto it as a source of awe and inspiration. He would spend countless hours copying the drawings and enhancing them with his own interpretation. His parents, recognizing their sons talent and appreciation of art, hired a private tutor to instruct him in basic techniques. Soon, Groves' interest turned from nature to people. Groves looked to friends and siblings as a source of inspiration and drew detailed portraits of their faces.
In high school, Groves met sculptor, Glenna Goodacre, the mother of a school friend. Meeting with her and seeing some of the success she enjoyed as a artist (Vietnam Womens™ War Memorial, Sacagawea US Dollar design) helped to inspire Groves' own artistic aspirations.
After graduating from the University of Colorado at Boulder with a B.F.A. in Environmental Design, Groves spent the next ten years as an art director for two large companies, all the while continuing to study and hone his fine art skills.
Groves has studied at the Florence Academy of Art in
Italy, the Colorado Academy of Art, the Loveland Art Academy, the
Cottonwood Art Academy and the Denver Arts Students League. He also
enjoyed a private, two- year mentorship with artist Jay Moore.
Groves paintings hang in numerous private and corporate collections and he is the recipient of multiple awards and recognitions.
Florence Academy of Art, Florence, Italy
Colorado Academy of Art: Atelier - Classical Academy Studies with Richard Lack
Colorado University, BFA Environmental Design/Architecture
Honors and Awards
• Oil Painters of America Eastern Juried Show, 2011 - Orleans, MA
• American Impressionist Society 12th Annual Juried Show 2011 – Carmel, CA
* Salon International 2010, Still Life - San Antonio, TX
• International Autumn Painting Competition". First Prize Landscape – Oil
• CM Russell Masters in Miniature 2009 – Still Life- Great Falls MT
• Salmagundi Club Open Exhibit, Still Life- New York NY
• Oil Painters of America Eastern, Still Life - Winner Top 100 – 2008
• Hilton Head Art League – National Juried Art Exhibit 2008 Sculpture –
• Arts for the Parks – Top 100 – 2008 –Landscape - Winner Jurors Award
• Selected Artists to Paint “THE NINE” Portraits. Selected by the City of Charleston,SC
• Selected Artist to paint 9th and 10th Bishops of Colorado (Denver)
• Arts for the Parks – Top 100 Mini50 Landscape– 2007